If you grew up camping as a child, maybe your first memorable gift from a grandparent or family member was a pocket knife. The best pocket knife had all the fancy additional tools on there that you slowly discovered what each one was good for.
Now as an adult, it is even more important you have a trusty and heavy-duty pocket knife to take with you camping, hunting, or hiking. You never know when you will need it. Below is a summary of things you must consider before purchasing a new pocket knife as well as a few recommendations from our experts. Let us take a closer look.
Tip: check our ultimate guide to the best hiking GPS units in Australia.
In This Post:
- Our Top 10 Pick Up
- How Do You Intend to Use the Pocket Knife?
- Things to Consider Before Purchasing Your New Pocket Knife
- Best Pocket Knife Review
- Victorinox Hiker Pocket Knife
- Leatherman Crater C33 Knife
- Winchester Lasso Folding Knife
- Victorinox Trailmaster One-Handed Knife
- Victorinox Swiss Champ All-In-One Knife
- NEBO PAL+ 3 in 1 Power Bank + Flashlight + Folding Knife
- Gerber Gator Drop Point Knife
- Roman Folding Pocket Knife Set 2Pk
- Gerber E-Z Out Rescue Knife
- Excalibur Tracker Knife 3.5
- Pocket Knife FAQ
Our Top 10 Pick Up
How Do You Intend to Use the Pocket Knife?
The first thing to consider is what do you need the knife for. Is this for a profession like an electrician or for doing building projects around the house? Do you plan to take it camping or hiking? What about hunting and fishing? All these different situations call for knives with different features so determine your intended use before purchasing your pocket knife.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing Your New Pocket Knife
Here is a list of what to look at when reviewing different pocket knives to purchase.
The features section will tell you all the capabilities your new pocket knife will possess. Some knives have upwards to 30 different features, while your basic knives will have maybe two or three. More is not always better. Think about what you will use.
Blade material is important to consider for longevity and toughness. You don’t want a weak knife that breaks the first time you use it. Most knives are made with stainless steel or zinc alloy.
Blade shapes come in a flat blade or a serrated blade. A serrated blade is better for cutting fabrics and rope.
The handle material will tell you about durability and if it is easy to grip. Handle material will often be wood for an elegant appearance or rubber for practicality.
If you have curious children in your household, then look for a pocket knife with a locking mechanism.
Some knives may be spring-loaded, butterfly knives, or switchblades. Make sure you know the knife laws in your area before purchasing a knife with an enhanced deployment mechanism.
Some knives may be specially weighted. Look for ergonomic specifications in the product details.
Knife often have a pocket clip or a key ring to attach to various objects or clothing for your convenience.
Best Pocket Knife Review
Victorinox Hiker Pocket Knife
This victorinox pocket knife is perfect for the outdoorsman, camper, and hiker. With so many features, this tactical folding knife will saw small branches, cut rope, open bottles, and even remove a chunk of steak from your teeth. Victorinox is also the creator of the famous swiss army pocket knife. The Victorinox series of small pocket knives are affordable and are made with precision quality.
- RRP: $59.95
- Features: Primary and secondary blade. Wood saw. Wire Stripper. Can Opener. Bottle Opener. Phillips and flathead screwdrivers. Reamer. Tweezers. Toothpick. Keyring.
- Material: Stainless Steel Tools | Plastic Sides
- Packed Dimension: 9L x 2.6W x 1.8H cm
- In Use Dimension: 16.2L x 2.6W x 1.8H cm
- Weight: 0.077 Kg
Pros: Limited lifetime warranty. An incredible number of features. Includes key ring. Small and compact. Easy to carry. Made from stainless steel.
Cons: Smaller blades limits some use.
Leatherman Crater C33 Knife
This leatherman pocket knife is ideal for your next camping and hiking trip. A flip knife constructed from heavy-duty steel with a 6.6 cm straight edge blade. Also includes a bottle opener and can be attached to your backpack or clothing with a pocket clip or the carabiner clip. Leatherman knife brands are world-famous for their quality and craftsmanship. Backed by a 25-year warranty.
- RRP: $67.95
- Features: Primary blade. Bottle opener. Key chain. Pocket clip. Carabiner clip.
- Material: 420HC Steel/Glass Filled Nylon
- Packed Dimensions: 12.5L x 3.2W x 1.8H cm
- In Use Dimensions: 19L x 2.8W x 1.8H cm
- Weight: 0.0669 Kg
Pros: Covered by a 25-year warranty. Nice longer blade. Steel construction. Carabiner and pocket clip included.
Cons: Not too many included features.
Winchester Lasso Folding Knife
The Winchester folding knife comes with an elegant wood handle and a 7.6 cm steel primary blade. This is the best pocket knife for cutting rope, thread, widdling wood, and cutting small branches to start a fire.This folding pocket knife is covered by a limited lifetime warranty and comes at an affordable price. A perfect gift for that outdoorsman in your family.
- RRP: $32.99
- Features: Primary blade. Nail nick. Lock back closure.
- Material: Steel 7Cr17MoV Blade | Wood Handle
- Packed Dimension: 10L x 2.5W x 0.8H cm
- In Use Dimension: 17.5L x 2.5W x 0.8H cm
- Weight: 0.034 Kg
Pros: Covered by alimited lifetime warranty. Elegant wood handle. Longer bladed. Contains a lock. Affordable.
Cons: No additional special features.
Victorinox Trailmaster One-Handed Knife
The Victorinox Trailmaster one-handed pocket knife features tools and a stainless steel 8.6 cm serrated blade. Victorinox is one of the best knife brands on the market. This the best tactical knife for cutting kindling, opening a beer, cleaning your teeth, and for cutting rope. Never leave home without this pocketknife.
- RRP: $115.00
- Features: Primary blade. Wood saw. Wire stripper. Can opener. Bottle opener. Phillips and flathead screwdriver. Reamer. Tweezers. Toothpick. Keyring.
- Material: Stainless Steel Tools | Plastic Sides
- Packed Dimensions: 11L x 3.5W x 2H cm
- In Use Dimensions: 19.5L x 3W x 2H cm
- Weight: 0.128 Kg
Pros: Covered by a limited lifetime warranty.Includes key ring along with several other special features. Constructed from stainless steel.
Victorinox Swiss Champ All-In-One Knife
The Victorinox Swiss Champ All-In-One Knife really is an all-in-one swiss pocket knife with over 30 special features. Includes wood and metal saws and a wire crimper for home projects. Constructed from heavy-duty stainless steel and covered by a limited lifetime warranty. This is one of the best folding knives by the best knife brand in the world.
- RRP: $215.00
- Features: Large blade, small blade, reamer, punch, sewing awl; can opener, 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm and 5mm screwdriver, wire stripper, scissors, pliers, wire bender, wire crimper (inside-outside), fish scaler, hook disgorger, ruler (cm/inch), wood saw, nail file, metal saw, metal file, nail cleaner, magnifying glass, 1/2 Phillips screwdriver, 4mm chisel, multipurpose hook, toothpick, tweezers, pressurised ballpoint pen, pin, keyring, corkscrew.
- Material: Stainless Steel Tools | Plastic Sides
- Packed Dimensions: 9.2L x 3.4W x 2.2H cm
- In Use Dimensions: 16.5L x 3.4W x 2.2H cm
- Weight: 0.185 Kg
Pros: Covered under a limited lifetime warranty. An incredible number of special features. An all-in-one tool.Constructed with stainless steel. Only weighs 185 grams.
NEBO PAL+ 3 in 1 Power Bank + Flashlight + Folding Knife
The NEBO Pal is one of only a few cool pocket knives that include a power bank and flashlight. This isthe best knife in the world for camping and hiking at night. Light up your path while you hunt for kidling to start the fire after dark. Also, the knife blade is removable from the light and powerpack for day time use, or to be used while charging the light.
- RRP: $79.95
- Features: Flashlight with high, low, and strobe settings. Primary blade. Micro-USB charging cable.
- Material: Anodised Aircraft Grade Aluminium | 420 Stainless Steel Blade
- Packed Dimensions: 12.7/21.3L x 3.1W x 3.1D cm
- In Use Dimensions: 12.7/21.3L x 3.1W x 3.1D cm
- Weight: 0.199 Kg
Pros: Includes rechargeable batteries and a micro-USB charging cable. Led light with 400 lumens. Constructed from aircraft-grade aluminium.
Cons: Only covered by a 2-year warranty.
Gerber Gator Drop Point Knife
This gerber pocket knife is an absolute beast of a folded steel knife. The perfect pocket knife for Australia, the Gerber Gator knife is constructed with stainless steel and contains the original gator grip handle for ultimate control. The Gerber Gator series of folding knives are ideal for hunters.
- RRP: $107.99
- Features: 9.5 cm stainless steel primary blade. Gator grip handle. Lockable.
- Material: 420HC stainless steel
- Packed Dimensions: 12.6L x 4.5W x 2H cm
- In Use Dimensions: 21.7L x 4.5W x 2H cm
- Weight: 0.153 Kg
Pros: Covered by a limited lifetime warranty. Stainless steel construction. Gator grip handle. Ballistic nylon sheath protection.
Cons: Not many special features included.
Roman Folding Pocket Knife Set 2Pk
The Roman Folding Pocket Knife Set 2Pk includes two cheap knives, one larger knifeand one small knife. These are the cheapest knives you will find constructed entirely of stainless steel. Perfect to keep around the kitchen or in your toolbox for basic everyday uses.
- RRP: $19.95
- Features: Primary blade: locking 5.2cm Straight Edge | 3.5cm Straight Edge. Secondary blade: 2.5cm Straight Edge.
- Material: Stainless steel handle and blade.
- Packed Dimensions: 8.7L x 2.5W x 1H cm | 6.6L x 1.2W x 0.8H cm
- In Use Dimensions: 14.7L x 2.3W x 1H cm | 10.6L x 1W x 0.8H cm
- Weight: 0.04 Kg | 0.02 Kg
Pros: Stainless steel construction. Two separate knives. Locking capabilities.
Cons: Only covered by a 1-year warranty.
Gerber E-Z Out Rescue Knife
The Gerber E-Z Out Rescue Knife is one of the best knives in the world for rescue situations and should be carried by rock climbers, paramedics, ski patrols, and other outdoor rescue personnel. These awesome knives make the best folding knife to carry on you for every outdoor adventure.
- RRP: $81.99
- Features: High carbon stainless steel primary blade and a pocket clip.
- Material: High Carbon Stainless Steel
- Packed Dimensions: 11.7L x 2W x 1.7H cm
- In Use Dimensions: 20.3L x 2W x 1.7H cm
- Weight: 0.074 Kg
Pros: Covered by a limited lifetime warranty. Comfortable textured handle for easy grip/ Serrated edge for cutting rope or dense fabrics.
Cons: Lack of additional special features
Excalibur Tracker Knife 3.5
This excalibur pocket knife contains a stainless steel surgical blade and is a lock knife. The blade is 6.7 cm and will easily slice up an apple or cut some rope. Nice and lightweight and comes with a rubber grip for an easy to hold and convenient to use for the ultimate pocket knives experience.
- RRP: $21.90
- Features: 6.7 cm primary blade. Lockable blade.
- Material: 420J2 Stainless Surgical Steel Blade | Zinc Alloy | Rubber Grip
- Packed Dimensions: 8.7L x 3W x 1.5H cm
- In Use Dimensions: 15.4L x 3W x 1.5H cm | Blade 6.7L cm | Handle 8.7L cm
- Weight: 0.086 Kg
Pros: Constructed with stainless steel and zinc alloy. Folding lockable blade. Corrosion-resistant.
Cons: Only covered by a one-year warranty.
Pocket Knife FAQ
Q. What is A Pocket Knife?
A pocket knife is a small foldable knife with one or two blades that fold up into a handle usually constructed of plastic, wood, or steel. Pocket knives can also be called jackknives or a pen knife. Pocket knife blades can be between 3 and 15 centimetres and may contain other tools like bottle openers, wire cutters, scissors, toothpicks, etc.
Q. Is It Legal to Carry a Pocket Knife in Australia?
The pocket knife Australia law dictates it is highly illegal to carry a knife in public. Just don’t do it. Carrying a multi-tool as an electrician or bringing it camping in ok, as long as you do not forget it clipped on your belt when you head into town.
Q. How Do I Sharpen a Pocket Knife?
The best way to sharpen your pocket knives is by purchasing a pocket knife sharpener. A good pocket knife sharpener usually comes in the form of a wet stone or sharpening stone, and as a honing rod. Both are extremely effective when it comes to sharpening knives.
Q. How Do I Clean a Pocket Knife?
It is important to keep your pocket knife clean. Some important tools to clean your pocket knife with are old toothbrushes, toothpicks, q-tips, lubricant, mild soap, warm water, and paper towels.