A good camping pillow or hiking pillow is an excellent addition for your next excursion. Many people often overlook camping pillows and deem them a hassle, or more trouble than they are worth due to them taking up room in your backpack. Trust us, having the best camping pillow will not only make your night of sleeping that much more restful, but camp pillows have come a long way in their design.
We now have the option of an inflatable pillow, a compressible Thermarest pillow, or a self-inflating pillow. All of these pillow types will compress down small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and will weigh less than a grapefruit. So now, there are no excuses for disregarding what good pillows have to offer to make your camping trip that much more comfortable. Let us take a closer look at what you should consider before purchasing your new pillow and see a list of our favourite camping pillows.
Also Interesting: Check out the best camping showers for 2020 here.
In This Post:
- Best Camping Pillow Our Top 3
- Things to Consider When Buying a Camping Pillow
- Camping Pillow Reviews
- Thermarest Compressible Pillow Review
- Sea to Summit Aeros Down Pillow Deluxe Review
- Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Pillow Review
- Black Wolf Air-Lite Pro Pillow Review
- Marmot Nimbus Pillow
- OZtrail Travel Pillow Review
- ALPS Mountaineering Versa Pillow Review
- Klymit Luxe Pillow Review
- Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow Review
- Camping Pillow FAQ
Best Camping Pillow Our Top 3
Things to Consider When Buying a Camping Pillow
Here are some of the key features you should consider before buying a new camping pillow:
Camping Pillow Comfort
Of course, comfort should be on the top of your list when looking to purchase a new camp pillow. The materials matter. The surface material will be what is in contact with your head and face throughout the night. You do not want a scratchy surface or itchy material. You should look for organic cotton or brushed polyester tops for a soft to the touch pillow cover.
For the inside of the pillow, you can go for a quality air pillow, or find a camping pillow that uses polyurethane foam. A high-quality inflatable camping pillow is ideal if you are concerned about space in your backpack. Simply deflate the pillow after use, ad fold it up to an incredibly small size.
Compressibility refers to how well the pillow can be compressed from the size it is when you are using it to the size it is when you need to pack it away. A blow up pillow is perfect for backpackers and people with limited space who may be taking a bicycle tour or motorcycle tour. These pillows will compress down easily and take up extraordinarily little room in your backpack, or on your bicycle.
If you are caravan camping or have a good-sized vehicle to use on your camping trip, you might want to go with a more luxurious and plush camping pillow.
The weight of your pillow is critical if you plan to spend long days trekking from one camp location to the next, or if you are on a bicycle tour travelling hundreds of kilometres. Camping pillows come in all sizes, weights, and materials, so be sure to select the weight best suited for your needs.
Camping Pillow Reviews
Here’s our selection of the 10 best camping pillows on the market right now for Aussie campers!
Thermarest Compressible Pillow Review
The Thermarest Compressible Pillow comes in three different sizes, small, medium, and large. Each size pillow compressed to only 25% of its original size. The Thermarest compressible pillow is filled with bits of polyurethane foam and possesses a brushed polyester cover. This pillow is made of the highest quality materials and is machine washable. When you are not using the pillow, simply roll it up and compress it into an integrated pocket attached to the pillow itself. All three sizes come with a limited lifetime warranty and come in three different colours. Choose between denim, cranberry, or blue woven dot.
- RRP: Small: $49.95 – Medium: $52.50 – Large: $59.95
- External Dimension: Small: 41L x 30W x 10H cm – Medium: 46L x 36W x 10H cm – Large: 58L x 41W x 10H cm
- Packed Dimension: Small: 30L x 10W x 10H cm – Medium: 35L x 12W x 12H cm – Large: 40L x 15W x 15H cm
- Weight: Small: 0.20 Kg – Medium: 0.26 Kg – Large: 0.34 Kg
- Material: Polyurethane foam stuffing with a brushed polyester cover.
Sea to Summit Aeros Down Pillow Deluxe Review
The Sea to Summit Aeros Down Pillow Deluxe is extremely comfortable and helps to keep your head warm when sleeping in colder conditions. This inflatable pillow comes with a multi-function mini valve that will allow you to easily inflate, deflate, and customize the firmness of your air pillow. Comes with a stuff sack for easy storage and to maximize space in your backpack.
- RRP: $129.99
- External Dimension: 59L x 38W x 12H cm
- Packed Dimension: 14L x 8W x 8H cm
- Weight: 0.170 Kg
- Material: Cushion-top 10D Nylon | Pillow Case & Stuff Sack 20D Nylon | Anti-hydrolysis TPU Air Bladder | Duck Down
Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Pillow Review
The Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Pillow comes in two different sizes, regular and large. Either size is perfect for long-distance trekking expeditions or bicycle tours. Super lightweight, incredibly compact, and can be stored anywhere. Comes with a multi-function valve to make inflating and deflating simple. Also constructed with abrasion-resistant high strength material to prevent punctures. Comes in either aqua or grey and includes a limited lifetime warranty.
- RRP: Regular: $49.99 – Large: $54.99
- External Dimension: Regular: 36L x 26W x 12H cm – Large: 44L x 32W x 14H cm
- Packed Dimension: Regular: 7L x 5.5W x 5.5H cm – Large: 8L x 5.5W x 5.5H cm
- Weight: Regular: 0.06 Kg – Large: 0.070 Kg
- Material: 20D Laminated Polyester
Black Wolf Air-Lite Pro Pillow Review
The Black Wolf Air-Lite Pro Pillow comes with a removable and machine washable diamond quilted stretch fabric cover that will feel soft against your skin all night long. This blow-up pillow can be filled ad full as you want for a firmer feel, or as little as you want for more softness. The materials used to construct the Black Wolf Air-Lite Pro Pillow are super durable and will prevent punctures or leaks. Comes with a stuff sack, a repair kit, and a limited lifetime warranty. Choose between jet black or true red.
- RRP: $39.99
- External Dimension: 39L x 28W x 10H cm
- Packed Dimension: 16L x 8W x 8H cm
- Weight: 0.130 Kg
- Material: 30D Micro Stretch Polyester with TPU Coating | Diamond Quilted Stretch Polyester
Marmot Nimbus Pillow
The Marmot Nimbus Pillow is specially designed to be comfortable and to provide incredible support for your head and neck while you sleep. Super easy to inflate, or deflate, this air pillow can be adjusted to the perfect firmness because of its wide locking valves. Comes with polyester stretch fabric that is soft and breathable, flex baffle technology for support, a carry bag, and a limited lifetime warranty.
- RRP: $49.99
- External Dimension: Not given.
- Packed Dimension: 12L x 10W x 2H cm
- Weight: 0.06 Kg
- Material: 50D Stretch Polyester | RF Welded Seams
OZtrail Travel Pillow Review
The OZtrail Travel Pillow is a basic, foam stuffed, camping pillow. Because of its incredibly small and compact size, this pillow can easily be packed away in your backpack or your vehicle without being a bother. This pillow is comfortable with a brushed cotton top. Comes with a carry bag and a one-year manufacturer’s warranty against defects of material or manufacture.
- RRP: $20.99
- External Dimension: 25cm x 38cm
- Packed Dimension: 18cm x 13cm x 7cm
- Weight: Weight not given but is extremely lightweight.
- Material: Brushed cotton top with a polyester base. ExoTherm X fill.
ALPS Mountaineering Versa Pillow Review
The ALPS Mountaineering Versa Pillow is an excellent choice for your next camping trip. Extremely small and compact size easily deflates and fits into a small carry bag that is small enough to fit on a carabiner. Very lightweight with durable polyester fabric. Flat valve makes the ALPS Mountaineering Versa Pillow easy to inflate and deflate. Choose between a flame colour or a simple grey.
- RRP: $24.99
- External Dimension: 43.18L x 30.48W x 12.7H cm
- Packed Dimension: Not given, but because it is an inflatable pillow, once deflated this pillow packs up to a ridiculously small size.
- Weight: 79 grams
- Material: Lightweight durable 20D brushed polyester fabric.
Klymit Luxe Pillow Review
The Klymit Luxe Pillow provides amazing comfort with its hybrid design that combines air with the support of polyester fill. Inflates in three to five breaths. Ideal for travelling, camping, and is compact enough to easily store away in your backpack or on your bicycle. This pillow cradles your head for additional support. Comes with a convenient stuff sack and a limited lifetime warranty.
- RRP: $39.13
- External Dimension: 55.88L x 31.75W cm
- Packed Dimension: 17.78L x 7.62W cm
- Weight: 176 grams
- Material: Removable and machine washable brushed polyester cover with polyester fill.
Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow Review
The Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow is a memory foam-filled pillow with a micro-suede cover that is designed to be comfortable and to provide you with a wonderful night’s rest. Super compact with a convenient carry bag for easy packing into your backpack or suitcase. The Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow comes in blue, green, or grey and a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If for any reason you do not like your pillow, contact the customer care team to resolve your issue.
- RRP: Small: $16.95 – Medium: $19.95
- External Dimension: Small: 40.64L x 30.48W x 12.7H cm – Medium: 45.72L x 35.56W x 12.7H cm
- Packed Dimension: Small: 22.86L x 15.24W cm – Medium: 26.67L x 15.24 cm
- Weight: Small: 255 grams – Medium: 311 grams
- Material: Soft micro-suede cover.Memory foam fill.
Camping Pillow FAQ
Is a camping pillow necessary?
Maybe a camping pillow may not be necessary but it for sure adds a new level of comfort and increases the quality of your sleep on your camping trips. Sure, you could use a rolled-up beach towel or sweatshirt, but do not be surprised if you wake up with a stiff neck. Camp pillows today are manufactured from the highest quality materials and fabrics. Choose between a foam-filled compressible pillow or an inflatable pillow with a soft brushed polyester cover.
Some people may think that a camping pillow is not worth the room it will take up to pack on your trip, however, camp pillows today are so compact that you will hardly notice they are there. Some even compress up small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.
Also, double-check if your sleeping bag or camping stretcher comes with built-in pillows. This may allow you to go without the additional purchase of a camp pillow, however, you may want one anyway for added support and comfort.
How do I clean my camping pillow?
Many pillows come with removable machine washable covers that you can simply toss in with your regular laundry. Once the cover is removed, or if you do not have a removable cover, follow the next steps.
Take the pillow, if it is an air pillow, close the valve completely, if it is a foam-filled pillow, skip this step.
Fill a washtub with laundry soap and warm water.
Place your pillow in the tub and gently knead it allowing the soap and water to work into the pillow.
Next, drain your washtub and rinse your pillow thoroughly with cold water.
Squeeze out the excess water from the fabric and then hang the pillow to air dry. Do not use a tumble cycle in an electric dryer.
Make sure your pillow is completely dry before packing away to prevent mould or mildew from forming.
User Review( votes)